Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Little Girl Who Would n't Say Please

1875

BY M. S. P.

THERE was once a small child who would never say please,
I believe, if you even went down on your knees.
But, her arms on the table, would sit at her ease,
And call out to her mother in words such as these:
"I want some potatoes!" "Give me some peas!"
"Hand me the butter!" "Cut me some cheese!"
So the fairies, this very rude daughter to tease,
Once blew her away in a powerful breeze,
Over the mountains, and over the seas,
To a valley where never a dinner she sees,
But down with the ants, the wasps, and the bees,
In the woods she must live till she learns to say please.

—St. Nicholas, June 1875, p. 471.

Note: I left "Would n't" as it originally was printed, except the whole title was capitalized.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There was once a rude child who would never say please,
I believe, if you even went down on your knees.
She put her arms on the table, and sat at her ease,
And called out to her mother with words such as these:
"I want some potatoes!" "Pass me the peas!"
"Give some butter!" "And also some cheese!"....
Until the fairies came, "What a very rude daughter to please!"
They blew her away in a powerful breeze,
Over the land, and over the seas,
To a valley where never a dinner she sees,
She's down with the wasps, the ants, and the bees
And in the woods she must live until she learns to say please.